Deecon and Mommy's hand

Deecon and Mommy's hand
One pound 10oz... 30.5 cm

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mommy's First time Kangarooing



Today was the best day of Mommy and Deecon's life together!!! When we went in to see Deecon, our primary nurse Diane said she thought we could kangaroo him for the first time. Brandon and I decided that I would be able to do this first and he would be blessed with the first diaper change :) I was so nervous and excited at the same time. It was scary seeing them take him out of the incubator with all those wires. It was quite the task, which took at least 3 nurses to complete. Other than a quick touch on his foot and hand, this kangaroo expeience was my first time holding my son. I was concerned about him being outside the giraffe incubator and his temperature being low since it was so humid inside. But as he lay on my bare skin snuggled into my chest I could feel the warmth and the nurse reassured me that he was warmer on me than in the incubator. He snuggled into my chest and slept peacefully for a bit then had his cute moment of awareness. It is so cute how he responds to our voices, as I kangarooed Brandon was able to touch and hold his hand. It was so adorable. Simply a priceless picture.
Studies have prooven that kangarooing is not only good for bonding between baby and parent but also Deecon's vitals improved once he was comfortable on me. He did very well for hs first time, his required oxygen level decreased as well as his heart rate slowed to a more comfortable rate as he lay on my chest synching with mine. He did not set off one alarm and the nurses were very surprised and very proud of him, but not more than his Mommy and Daddy. It was the most amazing feeling, and felt too short lived after two hours snuggling. I felt like I could watch him sleep forever, he is so little and precious. I can't believe that some hospitals don't encourage kangarooing. There are so many benefits of it. I can't wait until our next kangaroo. Actually it is Daddy's turn next to kangaroo and I am excited to take on the diaper adventure. We were told that this was a rare experience because he was doing well and that it may be awhile before Daddy was able to experience it. But today was truly an unforgetable, priceless moment so Daddy will be patient for his turn because he knows it will be so much worth it.

No comments: