Deecon and Mommy's hand

Deecon and Mommy's hand
One pound 10oz... 30.5 cm

Thursday, December 11, 2008

DEECON'S FIRST BREASTFEEDING ATTEMPT



We have been able to handle Deecon a lot lately. Whenever possible we are caring for him, changing diapers, getting him dressed, bathing, cleaning his face etc. We've been holding and kangarooing him a lot lately as well. When Mommy was kangarooing last week Deecon started to pick his head up off my body and he seemed to be trying to flip it from side to side. The nurse said that that was the beginning signs of him rooting for my breast. He has been showing major signs of rooting and showing interest in breastfeeding, sucking on his fingers and thumbs. Even when Daddy was kangarooing Deecon seemed to be rooting. He actually had his first head flip while kangarooing with Daddy. It was so exciting :) What a big boy.. flipping his head on his own for the first time already.. With the rooting signs my nurse Diane, which is also my lactation nurse, decided we should try to breastfeed Deecon for the first time.. As she said it tears filled my eyes. It was now Mommy's turn to take over and it all started to feel real. I have worked so hard over the last 60 plus days to get my milk supply in and keep it strong, now an amazing 1200ml/day. So the moment came and I sat there as Diane showed me a couple of options for baby positions, in front on my lap or a football hold. She showed me how to get him interested and to be aware of when he is rooting so that I get a good latch from him. Daddy laughed as we all did, as Diane had to forcefully push Deecon to me to latch. He actually did excellent his first time. She got him to latch numerous times and he did suckle and swallow milk.. I noticed that he would latch, suckle, swallow then it was so cute because he would have to take lots of breaths in between. It was hard work for him, he was so used to getting the food directly delivered into his belly with no effort, by tube. Diane said it was good to be observant because that is just how preemie babies breastfeed at first, with lots of breaks for breaths. So that was sooooo exciting. I was so happy that it was a positive experience because I was so nervous of how he and I would do. Diane actually said that he did way better than she ever expected because he was only 33weeks old gestation. She said some babies don't catch on until even after 36 weeks. I am so impressed with Deecon and his first try, so we are going to try again tomorrow and next week we are going to try at least once a day. Diane is off next week so I am excited to try and do it all by myself :) We are not actually weighing him and seeing how much milk he is getting yet, we are basically just introducing it and getting him to practise the latching technique. What a big boy he is, making Mommy and Daddy so proud. Mommy can't wait to feed him everyday by herself and bond with him.

1 comment:

gnsnblue said...

Jen that is so exciting. We are happy for you guys that Deecon did so well. He is getting so big. We are so happy for you guys and your new little man. These little ones are the best little gifts in the world and I am amazed at what Deecon has accomplished over the last 60 + days. Keep going little guy you have a mommy and daddy that are waiting patiently to take you home and love you with all their heart.

Shae, Greg and Addison