Deecon and Mommy's hand

Deecon and Mommy's hand
One pound 10oz... 30.5 cm

Friday, December 5, 2008

MOMMY HELD DEECON FOR THE FIRST TIME


This week Deecon is the BIG 8 Weeks Old... What a big boy... Mommy had the opportunity to bath him twice this week. With each bath I was able to gain more confidence and perfect the bathing pattern. During one bath time, I was able to spend more time bath and bonding as Deecon's Drager(isolate) was changed with another one, as well as he has graduated to a slightly different venitlator still called an Aladdin but with less options then the first. I just love how he stares up at me as I bath him, laying in my hand so calm and comfortable, enjoying every little splash. I just love it.. It is amazing how the simple things like bathing your baby is so special and priceless... I then was able to dress him in his cute little outfit. This outfit Mommy had to put over his cute little head, so very gently. Daddy laughs at me as I treat him as my personal china doll... I know I will learn to be more assertive with him as I gain confidence. But eventually Deecon was in the cutest little sports outfit...Adorable... After his bath the nurse asked me "do I want to hold him?" I knew she didn't mean kangaroo because we did not have a lot of time left and kangarooing is usually at least 2 - 4 hours... I looked in disbelief as she said hold him in my arms. He was now almost two months old and I had not held my son in my arms like a real newborn baby. I was delighted with the idea of holding my son while looking into his handsome little face. There is such a difference between the bonding when kangarooing and holding your baby. When kangarooing it is a much closer bonding physical feeling with your baby as he lay on your chest relaxed and peaceful. But when holding your Deecon he was so awake and aware, looking at his Mommy with adventure and curiosity. I could stare at his cute face while talking with him and playing with him. Unlike kangarooing I could only hold Deecon for a limited amount of time, since he is not place naked on my naked chest like kangarooing instead he is in his cute little outfit, wrapped in his blanket, wearing a blue hat to keep him as warm as possible. As I held him in my arms, I felt so grateful to have him in my life. I listened and watched everything he did in my precious time with him in my arms. He made such cute sounds as he looked around wide eyed... a simply priceless moment between Mommy and Deecon. When our time together was done I put him back into his Christmas style incubator. Deecon has been making great strides in his breathing and lowering his oxygen requirements. They have discovered that Deecon has a reflex problem, where his food travels back up from his belly and blocks his trachea, where he oxygen travels to his lungs. So the doctors now have him on two medicines, Maxerant and Renidine to help him keep his food down. This will help him decrease his amounts of desaturations that he has, which has been one of his constant problems as well as help lessen his amount of Bradycardia's. They have also given him his own little butterfly.. this is a butterfly shaped pillow that he lays on to help keep his shoulders rounded and to help elevate him. Within a couple of days it really worked for you. The nurses are now "sprinting" him, which means they are trialing him on a new ventilator called "Low Flow." This is great!!! Low Flow is a small tube placed under his cute little nose with two small plastic flexible prongs which blow oxygen into his nose as he works it down all my himself to his lungs and back out. His first trial period was two hours and he grew tired. Within a couple more days he was able to stay on low flow for a complete 4hours straight.. We were so proud of him. Each time he gets tired he is then place back on the Aladdin with the uncomfortable nose prongs. I can tell he doesn't like it because he struggles with the nurse as she puts it back on as well as try to push on it as much as possible. Soon we hope he will be able to stay on low flow... and we are all so excited:) Deecon is getting bigger by the minute it seems, since his belly has been excepted the feeds. They have changed his feeding pump to a different kind which allows him to get the fat first to help him grow quicker, they also still add vitamins and minerals packages in his breastmilk. He is up to 8.3ml/hr continuous feeds, and is the big DRUM ROLL PLEASE....... 1410grams 3POUNDS 1.73OZ..How exciting I wasn't sure if three pounds was ever going to come.. He is getting to be such a big boy, his cheeks are a little chunky.. Daddy calls him Fatso.. LOL Wow not only did Mommy get to bath you two times this week I also got to Hold him again... ;) How exciting.... And the one on one time was extended to Mommy being able to Kangaroo Deecon again... Each time is just as precious as the last... he may be in for a lot of kangarooing even when he comes home, because Mommy just loves it :)

No comments: