Deecon and Mommy's hand

Deecon and Mommy's hand
One pound 10oz... 30.5 cm

Monday, March 2, 2009

DEECON'S OFF OF OXYGEN ;)




We have been working so hard to get Deecon lower on his oxygen requirement. Today was Deecon's day... As I walked closer to his cott in the nursery I noticed his handsome little face.. totally naked of any tubes or tape... Tears flowed down my face as I starred into my son's gorgeous face. I was so happy, but so nervous all at once. We have had many attempts in the past to eliminate the oxygen but all have failed with Deecon having blue spells. So I was excited and hopeful but nervous and cautious. Deecon also lost the heart rate and respitory rate leeds, so he was only now attached to a small hand held machine that was portable.. For the first time ever I could hold Deecon anywhere in the nursery I wanted. I didn't have to work around tons of wires and tubes when changing his diaper and clothes.. it was great :) Daddy came in before work and it was priceless to see his face as he started to talk with Deecon. Bath time was so much easer without the oxygen tube as well... The whole day went by without a blue spell.. it was very well.. As I left I was praying that Deecon could keep it up and make it through a whole 24 hours with no oxygen.. the first 24 hours of the rest of his non oxygen support life ;) And indeed he did and the next day was another celebration.. :) We had been working so hard on his feeds, Deecon has been doing excellent, taking full feeds from Mommy almost ever time. The only times that he defaults from full feeds in at night when the nurses are in charge, often he is tube fed a minimum of 2 feeds a night. I have talked with his pediatrician regarding his feeding schedule and she agreed that we should test Deecon and see what feeding schedule he wants to be on, so the nurses were instructed to feed on demand. So whenever Deecon showed that he was hungry they were to feed him, and if he doesn't show he is hungry after four hours then we had to get him up and change and feed him. Usually he was pretty good at feeding between his 3 and 4 hour spand. The next day I came into the nursery to feed Deecon with a much greater surprise. There was my baby boy without a feeding tube in his nose. It was such a great feeling of accomplishment having that feeding tube out.. We have worked sooo hard trying to get Deecon to feed enough so that we could try and not tube a feed. I was so happy. I thought he was soo handsome without his oxygen, but now he has a totally naked face and he is such a handsome boy... I could stare at his little face all day long and that is exactlly what I did ;) It was funny Deecon's Aunt Tissy came to visit and she didn't know that he had a naked face so I didn't say anything I just let her discover it for herself. Her face was priceless, it was such a great surprise. The past 48 hours Deecon has leaped past huge nursery milestones. The next 24 hours without a feeding tube will be crucial. If Deecon can continue with his feeds we could possible be home really soon. We were all sooo excited... ;) Positive thinking.. Home here we come!!!

No comments: